The United States Pony Clubs, Inc. started in 1954 to teach riding and the proper care of horses. It is based on The British Pony Club, which was created in 1929 as a junior branch of the Institute of the Horse. Since then, Pony Club has expanded to many countries around the world, with the main goal being to promote sportsmanship, stewardship and leadership through horsemanship.
What is in a name? Back in 1929, the term “pony” was used to describe the mount of a youth equestrian. With a name steeped in the tradition of educating the next generation of equestrians, the name Pony Club continues to focus on education and quality care of both horses and ponies.
In the last decade, Pony Club has strengthened programming to meet the needs of equestrians of all ages. This has included, offering Pony Club through established riding centers, expanding certifications to include the disciplines of Dressage and Show Jumping, bringing in Western disciplines, adding educational opportunities at the grassroots level through developed standardized curriculum and additional online education, and including land conservation in the Standards of Proficiency. With approximately 600 clubs and centers, there is a good chance we are near you!
Thank you in advance for helping our lesson program run more smoothly.
Pony Club Develops:
- Horsemanship with respect to healthcare, nutrition, stable management, handling and riding a mount safely, correctly and with confidence.
- Organized teamwork including cooperation, communication, responsibility, leadership, mentoring, teaching and fostering a supportive yet competitive environment.
- Respect for the horse and self through horsemanship; for land through land conservation; and for others through service and teamwork.
- Service by providing an opportunity for members, parents, and others to support the Pony Club program locally, regionally and nationally through volunteerism.
- Education at an individual pace to achieve personal goals and expand knowledge through teaching others.
Gator Bayou Pony Club History
Our club was established in 1984 under the name “Caddo Horse & Rider Pony Club”. It has continuously operated since formation and received recognition from nationals in 2017, as a “25 Year Club”. The club operates out of Holly Hill Farm, a 3-day eventing facility, located in Benton, LA. As a group we hold shows, clinics, and fundraisers that benefit our local equine community and promote safety in equestrian related activities.